Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Woolworth's - The South African Whole Foods

The mall closest to me has two grocery stores in it - Pick N Pay (the Jewel / Shaw's / etc) and Woolworth's, which is basically the Whole Foods of South Africa. Interestingly enough, you have to walk through a mall and through part of a department store to get there...


But if you keep going...


You get to the actual supermarket. It all closes at 7 PM, so work makes weeknight grocery shopping difficult.


Yes, everyone around the world is all over organic. The local food craze hasn't quite hit here yet, I think I give it a year or so.


The produce is decent, but the wild game meat selection is disappointing. I have bought ostrich, but that's about as exotic as my Woolworth's gets.


The dried fruit and nut section - this is what keeps me going in my office during the day. Current favorite dried fruit - pineapple.

No comments:

Post a Comment