Thursday, February 12, 2009

Reference-free Communication

It's not that easy communicating with the international folks here. They all speak great English, and no, it's not the accents or British spelling or having to the difference between America for the past 8 years vs. America now - it's having to communicate without a palette of pop-culture reference. Life here isn't a stream of movie quotes and 80's tv plot references and beer ad campaigns. While it's true that a lot of American movies and tv shows and whatnot have made it around the world, it's inconsistent from country to country and can't be depended upon. As a creature of analogy and methaphor, it's not always easy for me to express myself from the ground up. It's taken some getting used to, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. But still, whenever I hear the word 'playoffs', in the context of soccer or cricket or whatever, only one thing comes to mind...



PLAYOFFS?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment